Cytoscape project needs your support!
Please cite the original Cytoscape paper when you use Cytoscape. This is critical to sustaining our federal funding.
Shannon P, Markiel A, Ozier O, Baliga NS, Wang JT, Ramage D, Amin N, Schwikowski B, Ideker T.
Cytoscape: a software environment for integrated models of biomolecular interaction networks
Genome Research 2003 Nov; 13(11):2498-504
Other articles and papers about Cytoscape are available here.
What Can You Do With Cytoscape?
Cytoscape supports many use cases in molecular and systems biology, genomics, and proteomics:
- Load molecular and genetic interaction data sets in many standards formats
- Project and integrate global datasets and functional annotations
- Establish powerful visual mappings across these data
- Perform advanced analysis and modeling using Cytoscape Apps
- Visualize and analyze human-curated pathway datasets such as WikiPathways. Reactome. and KEGG.
Cytoscape is used by social scientists to:
- Visualize and analyze large social networks of interpersonal relationships
- Assemble social networks from tables and forms
- Gather social interactions from the web by variety of web service APIs with scripting languages and save it in standard data file formats. Cytoscape supports most of the standard file formats .
- Calculate network statistics using Apps
- Use with other tools, such as R with sna / igraph package or NetworkX. for more advanced analysis
Cytoscape is domain-independent and therefore is a powerful tool for complex network analysis in general.
- Calculate statistics for networks by Apps such as NetworkAnalyzer or CentiScaPe
- Find shortest path
- Find clusters by various kinds of algorithms
- Use with other tools for more advanced analysis
- Perform advanced network analysis in popular tools, including igraph. Pajek. or GraphViz and import it to Cytoscape as standard file formats like GraphML
Cytoscape is expandable and extensible. Cytoscape has a vibrant App developer community and over a hundred Apps developed by third parties.
- Source code is available on GitHub
- Running on OSGi framework
- Develop simple and complex Apps in Java
- Clean, Rich Cytoscape Application Programming Interface (API )
- Active developer community
Let us know if you’ve published using Cytoscape and we will feature your publication here!