Toilets are one of those things that we take for granted until they stop working. If you are experiencing issues with your toilet, DS Plumbing can have it working again in no time.
We can take care of issues like:
- Toilet clogs
- Toilets that won’t flush
- Toilets that leak
- Odd noises
If you live in Ottawa, Nepean, Kanata, Stittsville, Dunrobin, Orleans, Barrhaven, Manotick, or Greely we can help! We even do house calls 24/7 for emergencies.
Here’s Why You Can Trust DS Plumbing For Your Toilet Repair Needs
We just can’t be beaten for long term value in toilet repairs or installations:
- Our 100% satisfaction guarantee: we’ll make sure you’re happy with the work we’ve done .
- Award winning service: our customer reviews on Homestars have earned us the Homestars Best of 2013 award. We’ve also won awards from the Better Business Bureau, where we’re listed with an A+ rating. You can see the full list on our Awards page .
- Our amazing plumbing team combines professional expertise with a friendly approach. We know you don’t want to wait around all day, so we arrive on time ready to go to work with all the parts and tools we need. We explain the problems to you and offer as many options as we can. We even make the extra effort to keep your home clean, by wearing protective shoe covers and laying down drop cloths in the work area. You can meet our team here .
- Predictable Pricing: there’s no mysterious hourly formula, just set prices for the work delivered in advance so you know what to expect before any work begins.
Common Causes of Toilet Problems
Here are some of the things that we see that can cause issues:
- In cities, chloramine in the water supply makes plastic and rubber parts more brittle over time. For parts that need to create a seal, that can shorten lifespan.
- In rural areas, hard water can mean calcium deposits on some parts. Having a water softener installed can help prevent these kinds of issues.
- Some toilets are just better designed and constructed than others, especially when it comes to clogging.
- Toilets are not hard to install, but they do need to be installed correctly. For example, flanges connecting the toilet to the soil stack can become stressed if over-tightened. The flange should be level with or slightly above your floor – not below. Simple things like this can cause leaks.
To prevent toilet clogs, don’t flush items like these:
- Feminine hygiene products. They are still one of the most common causes of toilet clogs that we see.
- “Flushable” wipes. Some baby wipes and other personal wipes are labelled as flushable, and if your toilet and drain installations have been perfectly done you may be lucky. But in less than ideal circumstances these can and do clog toilets and drains.
- Thick “luxury” toilet paper. The longer the paper takes to disintegrate on contact with water the more likely it is to cause a clog.
- Facial tissues. Even though they look thin and delicate, remember they can withstand a cold and don t break down as easily as toilet paper.
- Paper towels. These are designed to resist disintegration as much as possible, so don t take a chance with them.
We recommend not flushing anything except waste and toilet paper, even if the product is labelled “flushable”.
DIY Tips: Extending the Life of Your Toilet
Here are a few simple things that can help you avoid unnecessary toilet repairs:
- Don’t add any cleaners or pucks to the tank. The chemicals in them can prematurely age the rubber and plastic parts. Putting them in the bowl is fine.
- When chlorine pucks get smaller, they can cause blockage of the water jets.
- Don’t put bricks or water savers in the toilet tank. People used to do this back when 20 litre flush toilets were common, but in today’s low-water volume flush toilets they aren’t needed. These objects can interfere with the flushing mechanism and bricks can shed particles that can cause problems as well.
- Today’s new low-flush toilets are designed to be flushed every time in order to avoid chemical degradation of the mechanical parts (so don’t “let it mellow”).
For emergency 24/7 help with your toilet call US!
In our blog we have lots of articles about how plumbing works, why things can go wrong, and some quick fixes.
Please note these articles are for information purposes only. we do not guarantee that these contain the exact fix for the exact problem you re experiencing.
Kelly Guillemette, Ottawa
Our plumber, Mark, was excellent.
He worked quickly and efficiently and when we needed a new item for our basement, he searched it out himself and managed to get it to us in less time than expected.
Erika Dunbar, Ottawa
Fantastic .really helpful. Arrived right on time
Fixed the problem quickly. Extremely tidy and just a great overall experience. Would definitely recommend to everyone.
Darcy Stober, Ottawa
Great Clean Up!
We saw our employees bathroom was flooded and when we called DS Plumbing they dispatched a plumber right away. They fixed the issue and a great clean up. Thanks guys!
DS Plumbing was patient, pleasant, and professional.
The serviceman worked efficiently with the city of Ottawa crew. I will be re-doing my kitchen this summer and this is the company I will call for all the plumbing challenges.
Alexandra from Ottawa
“He made a very upsetting incident bearable.
Great. I was extremely happy to see Craig at 1 AM. He was fast, knowledgeable, and courteous.
Judith Mackey, Ottawa
“One of the best plumbing experiences I have ever had.
You guys really know your stuff, fast and certainly reliable! Kudos!”
Marcia Wiltshire, Ottawa
“Excellent, professional and helpful service.
Our very best experience with a plumber and will recommend to friends.”
Duncan Maryanne Dekergommeaux, Ottawa